Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Least of These


Photo from Flickr
Does it really matter?!

       Will this even make a difference?

                    What am I doing?

Me. Last week. These questions.

Been there?

I know you have.

Cause we ALL have.

We all struggle, all reach, all strive, all wonder. We want to make a difference, be successful, leave a mark on this crazy world.

Some are given platforms which the world looks at and says 'wow', but most of us live 'normal' lives, and some of us live seemingly small lives...like me.

I was once a waitress, then an office hand, then a journalist, then an ad salesman; I was in contact with lots of people everyday.

And now, after the dust of God's hand at work has settled, I'm in a place, be it far more peaceful than before, that is indeed very small.  Have you been there too?

Where I used to see to the needs to business men, now I see to the needs to an aged widow.
 
Where once I fed my editor front page stories, now I feed this woman.

I used to write stories, now I listen to hers.

No longer interviewing doctors, now I serve as one.

And one day, I stopped and said to myself.

    "Lord, I know this matters to her, and I know this is where you have placed me, but today I don't feel very important. No one sees what I do, does it even matter or not if I keep her house clean or give her bath, or make sure her shoes are polished?!"

No sooner had I uttered these words than a gentle whisper floated through my heart,

"The least of these...."

I stopped in my tracks.

"I was hungry....I was thirsty...I  was sick...you looked after Me." (Matthew 25:34-40)

The rest of the verse came flooding back to mind, and with it came a deep reassurance and peace.

The little things we do matter.

They are seen.

Today as I sat down to write this entry, I wasn't quite sure if I should publish it, so in between writing I check my e-mail. I was amazed by what I found waiting for me. A daily Bible verse reading,

"So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless." 1 Cor. 15:58 NLT.

How amazing!

Again, that peace and reassurance came.

I believe someone needed to read this today, was it you?

Let's remember together that our platform may be as small as as stepping stool that dusts the ceiling fan of an old ladies house, but it matters...

It matters.

No comments: